Glossary of Auto Terms

DriverSide's Car Dictionary has the most comprehensive definitions of automotive terms. This auto glossary can help you decipher what your mechanic is fixing and what the purpose or function of the particular auto part or accessory is for. We have taken the mystery out of automotive service jargon, so that you don't have to.


Carburetor Barrel

You may hear carburetors referred to as "one-barrell," "two-barrel," and so on, typically more barrells on larger, more powerful engines. The barrell is a tube-like part of the carburetor through which air flows and is mixed with fuel. The choke valve is at the top of the carburetor barrel and the throttle valve is at the bottom.

See Also:
Accelerator Pump
Carburetor Float
Air Cleaner Intake
Fuel Pump

Diagnose Your Car's Problem

Engine won't start? Weird sound? Strange smoke? Got something going on with your car but not sure what it is? The easy to use DriverSide Diagnostic Tool is here to help you figure it out.

Enter Zip: